Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Chart effects

From: Jeff Dalton <jeff%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 86 16:55:26 GMT
Subject: Chart effects

This week's Gallup Music Week/BBC/BPI LP  chart has:

   1 (1)   Hits 5                              -- Various
   2 (3)   The Whole Story                     -- Kate Bush
   3 (2)   Every Breath You Take - The Singles -- The Police
   4 (8)   O.S.T. Top Gun                      -- Various
   5 (7)   True Blue                           -- Madonna
  11 (4)   Live 1987-1985                      -- Bruce Springsteen et al
  14 (new) Infected                            -- The The

So much for Bruce.

The The is getting pushed mightily in the press.  The last Time Out had an
insert, twice-folded glossy re Infected, which says it is "Available in
video, compact disc, tape, record, and book form".  The front is the cover
painting from one version of the LP, the back the picture used for the
"torture sleeve" (the alternate LP cover).  Inside you find pictures
(presumably frames from the video), bits of lyrics, and "5 years since
'Burning Blue Soul'... 3 years since 'Soul Mining'... 2 years in the
making... 'Infected'  Utilizing the most powerful visual and lyrical
metaphors to cut through the *flab* and into the *raw bones* of Addiction,
Affliction, Attrition ... the Western Condition."  And "to hear excerpts
from 'Infected' phone (*) 0895 600505"

(*) "23p off peak; 46p peak rate"

I think I'll go back to my Fuzzbox singles...