Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Robin Hiccups

From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@nrl-css.arpa>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 86 08:26:36 est
Subject: Robin Hiccups

> From: juitt%ultra.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM  (Out of left field came a lucky day...)
> Subject: Robyn Hitchcock

> Wow.

Yawn.  This Hitchcok dude is perhaps the most overated piece of shit
to EVER come out of "left field".... Please, Mr. Immigration, take him
back to England where he can bore the welfare pricks to death...

>That's the one word review, just "Wow".  We stood there and listened to
>Robyn and Andy and Morris for close to an hour and a half, and all I can say
>is wow!

You promise?

> A coupla comments off the top of my skull:

Liar...
     now there's nothing left...

> - He didn't feel like talking to the audience.  Made a point of not explaining
>  the songs or doing any kind of witty intros.  We didn't care.

Translation:  He felt that a bunch of boring young professionals probably
wouldn't understand him anyway.

> - Hitchcock is a much better guitarist than comes across on vinyl.

Excuses, excuses...

  > oh well, I guess he deserves a hit.

Yeah, so did Boy George.

> - Peter Buck joined 'em on stage for the last two songs (Heaven and some paisley
  >classic) and proceeded to completely embarrass himself.  It was evident how
  >creative Robyn can be with his arrangements.  Buck did all he could do to keep
  >up, but he was spending all his time trying to watch Hitchcock's fretboard to
  >figure out where he was going.  Pretty sad Pete, looked liked you had never
  >sat in on a jam with anybody before.

Naw, it was the herion.

>- He hushed the entire crowd as he stood under a lone spot and played
  > "I Often Dream of Trains".  Every time I listen to this song, from now on,
  > I'll remember the look and the tear is his eye.  Wow.

Gee, you probably said the same thing about Peter Frampton in 1974...

> Next up, Iggy @ Metro - 11 Nov.  On deck, Peter Murphy @ Paradise - 19 Nov.

Bring yr pillows...

> Dave Juitt			 	I've wasted a lot of time trying

Sure have, now when are you gonna try some REAL music?

> new shit:
>	  Flipper - Public Flipper Ltd. (8.50 from Subterean)
>	   two lps, looks like they got pissed at PiL for
>	   ripping their generic "concept"

Did **I** predict it or WHAT?