Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate-echism I.x.13

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 86 14:46 PDT
Subject: Kate-echism I.x.13

>>IED may be a minority of one in the HoL/Dreaming debate,
>>but surely he is not alone in deploring "Wank"'s brand of
>>gutter-brained slop?

>  Actually, he's not alone on either subject.  I'll take "Hounds of Love"
>over "The Dreaming" any day.  Why?  Because "The Dreaming" (along with
>"Lionheart" and to a lesser extent "Never For Ever") suffers from two
>major flaws:  a.) over-production and b.) over-embellishment.  ("Lion-
>heart" also suffers from having no interesting songs and the Dumb Lyric
>Syndrome, but that's another debate.)  "Hounds of Love", on the other
>hand, shows a bit of restraint and a greater maturity on Bush's part,
>as far as knowing when a song is done and doesn't need to be fiddled
>with anymore.

>  But then, what do I know, I'm from Pueblo.

>Steve "Blore" Howard, giving Godot just five more minutes to show up

Thanks for your support, Blore, but IED has no choice but to reject
your reasons entirely.

First of all, IED shares Kate's own opinion (which she has expressed
in very explicit terms) that her music is not "over-produced" at
all. In fact, the term "over-produced" is foolish and
meaningless. Beyond that, Hounds of Love is OBVIOUSLY MORE
painstakingly produced than The Dreaming, NOT LESS SO! IED is
once again baffled by the inexplicable laxity in Love-Hounds' listening
habits. IED is relatively confident that The Ninth Wave is the most
elaborately processed popular recording ever made. The pedestrian notion
that complexity is mere "over-embellishment" stems solely from
the listener's intellectual, emotional and -- above all --
aesthetic impoverishment, as evidenced by Blore's spectacularly
mindless likening of the production on Lionheart and Never For Ever
to that on The Dreaming.