Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate-echism I.x.4, Revelations, and Apologia

From: seismo!hao!udenva!showard (Steve "Blore" Howard)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 86 17:10:20 mdt
Subject: Re: Kate-echism I.x.4, Revelations, and Apologia
Newsgroups: mod.music.gaffa

>IED may be a minority of one in the HoL/Dreaming debate,
>but surely he is not alone in deploring "Wank"'s brand of gutter-brained
>slop?

   Actually, he's not alone on either subject.  I'll take "Hounds of Love"
over "The Dreaming" any day.  Why?  Because "The Dreaming" (along with
"Lionheart" and to a lesser extent "Never For Ever") suffers from two
major flaws:  a.) over-production and b.) over-embellishment.  ("Lion-
heart" also suffers from having no interesting songs and the Dumb Lyric
Syndrome, but that's another debate.)  "Hounds of Love", on the other
hand, shows a bit of restraint and a greater maturity on Bush's part,
as far as knowing when a song is done and doesn't need to be fiddled
with anymore.

   But then, what do I know, I'm from Pueblo.

--
"I don't need a course in self-awareness to find out who I am
 and I'd rather have a Big Mac or a Jumbo Jack

Steve "Blore" Howard, giving Godot just five more minutes to show up
                      {hplabs, seismo}!hao!udenva!showard
or {boulder, cires, ucbvax!nbires, cisden}!udenva!showard