Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lionheart USA / Yuppie status not yet attained

From: "ROSSI J.A." <rossi@nusc.ARPA>
Date: 4 Aug 86 00:26:00 PST
Subject: Lionheart USA / Yuppie status not yet attained

Someone recently commented that repeated pressings of EMI-USA Lionheart were
trash.  I, for one, have an American pressing of Lionheart that is flawless
(given what you would expect in production vinyl).  About 10 years ago it
was very noticable that non USA pressings of many albums were much better in
sound quality than their American counterparts.  Recently, I have noticed that
this difference seems to be less apparant.  Originally, the better quality
of import pressings was attributed to smaller batch runs off the master
disc.  Possibly, the impoirts get as much use out of their mastrers as the
USA companies do in todays 'buy-em-up' world.  I have recently seen many
defects in imported LPs that I have purchased and (without any real statistical
manipulation) I believe that the quality of imports has sunken to the depth
of the over use2{ American pressing.  Of course, this does not apply to all
import labels, but Virgin, Island, Ohr and Infinity seem tyo be in the
worst shape.  It should be mentioned that bad 'batches' of a given LP can be
releasaed without knowledge of the companies involved.  It is not sufficient
to buy repeated copies from the same dealer or from any other dealer in the
area (which may, and probably is, supplied by the same distributor).  One must
go to someplace where a pressing from another 'batch' can be bought before
the conclusion that all pressings of a particular title are bad.  As for
EMI-America's Lionheart pressings, all I cxan say is thjat I have a goiod one
(purchased in New London, CT at Record World), and that, surely, others muyst
exist.

I thank Tim Wicinski for replying about meeting in Arlington in Aug.  Just one
point, however.  I have v{otten the accomodations via connections within the
Guest Quarters chain.  I could hardly afford tyhe cost of the rooms I am
getting for a night, let alone a week.  I, also, still drive a VW bus (not a
BMW) which I will be taking to DC (equipped with all the ETOH varities I
normally stock, however).  No, I am not a Yuppie yet, shit I can hardly
afford to keep up the payments on my 5 year old record collection loan.

Hey, I got a babysitter for my kid for next Sat.  Anybody else have any
plans to go to Doug's then.

John