Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Silkscreening

From: "ROSSI J.A." <rossi@nusc.ARPA>
Date: 30 Jul 86 16:42:00 PST
Subject: Silkscreening

To Andy Marvick and anyone else not farmilliar with the process of silk-
screening.  Complexity, # of characters etc. do not account for any
appreciable silkscreening costs (providing that whover does the actual
printing can meet the constraints of the resolution of the graphics with
their equipment).  Basically, you can look at silkscreening as a photographic
like process where a master is made from photo ready artwork and as many
duplicates (positives) can be made by using the plate which is the 'screen'.
Therefore, unless we start talking multiple colors, which require the
production, alignment, etc of several screens, the cost of making the
screen is constant over a wide range of designs.  It also should be noted
that picture reproduction by silkscreening is tough stuff especially if
more than two levels of contrast are needed.  It is hard using semi-screens
to produce half tone like effects, therefore if any pictures are to be
included, they should be ones which actually show something in real white on
real black (or any other colors), a good aproximation would be that if
it doesn't look correct in monochrome computer graphics (Apple, IBM, ect.
on a B&W screen) it won't look right silkscreened.  Also Note :  The
technique used for reproducing color scenes on shirts (not heatpressing !!)
is called air-brushing and is generally done in a 1 on 1 type enterprise
and is expensive.

About the sonar effects.  I'm ashamed that the Navy's supposed expert on
the subject never even picked up.

Don't tell me that everybody in the DC area is going to be in New England
over the APA week.

John