Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Chris J. Valas <cv%linus@mitre-bedford.ARPA>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 86 09:58:08 EDT
Posted-Date: Wed, 23 Jul 86 09:58:08 EDT

IED, why don't you get your dick out of your ear and listen to some
different music?  My interest in love-hounds mailings varies in direct
proportion to the percentage of postings from you.  Doug used to beat
Kate to death regularly, but he tossed in enough material about other
musics to make his stuff worth sifting through.

Wait, don't tell me, IED is really a put-on, right?  Some people in
Wisconsin decided to parody Doug for laughs?  Isn't the joke getting a
little stale, guys?  Well, if not, save some wank for me....

Records IED doesn't need to know about:

Robert Fripp and the League of Crafty Guitarists -- LIVE!
	Fripp creates the analog equivalent of Frippertronics with a
pack of mixed-experience-level guitarists (the League, natch) and a
new standard tuning.  Well.  This is great guitar noodling and Fripp
is in his usual impeccable form.  Some of the pieces could have been
omitted, particularly one which features slow scales interspersed with
single chords.  This is something to put on when you're meditating
about the future of the acoustic guitar.  On the whole, I prefer
Fripp's work with the ex-cop.

Jazz Butcher -- Bloody Nonsense
	This guy let the domestics do the butcher number on the cover
of his US release.  There is an incredibly fatuous review by some
wanker called C.C. Dammerung on the back.  This particular piece of
crap was almost enough to make me pass up the record altogether but I
went ahead and bought it anyway.  (Really, go into a record store and
read the review.  Who is this jackass?)  The Jazz Butcher's music is
far better than the cover implies.  He sounds like Robyn Hitchcock
meets Elvis Costello over a few beers and they decide to do covers of
older Matt Johnson tunes.  I saw him at Swifts on Monday and, like
Hitchcock, in person he manages to improve on the recorded material.
Best song of the night was a marvelous extended cover of Roadrunner.
If you can't see him, buy the record.

The Feelies have new vinyl out and are coming to Boston in early
August.  These guys were doing the R.E.M. chiming guitar routine back
when I was in school.  They do it a lot better, and are usually great
live, even though they used to only play gigs on national holidays.
Either these guys are weirder than us or they work for the post office
but either way, get the record "The Good Earth" and while you're at it
you might as well go ahead and buy their original record which is now
about six years old and may even be in the cut-out bins.

If anyone is interested in taking some real adventures in musical
innovation rather than spending the summer on the tame (though pretty)
stuff KB is doing these days, most of CAN's albums are available (when
you can find them) for under five dollars.  Do yourself a favor.  Find
out what Holger Czukay was like before he grew up.

With love,

Chris Valas