Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"What's that?"

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 86 17:52 PDT
Subject: "What's that?"

I appreciate the lengthy specs analysis of
video audio-recording characteristics. Dropout is
the least of my problems. I re-emphasize that
I will never give up my KT record collection,
or any other discs of really cherished music,
but 90% of my stuff I can live without, at least
in bulky vinyl form.
I'm aware of the limitations of the sound reproduction
in 8mm, but, to my ears, at least, the sound is miles
ahead of conventional audio tape already, and since
my primary aim is to regain some of the space which
my record collection has been usurping from me over the
years, open reel is not a feasible alternative. In what
other system can you put every recording the Beatles ever
made on one palm-sized cassette, and still have another
five to ten hours to spare? The fine distinctions between
75 decibels and 80 decibels, etc., are beyond my barbaric
ears' capacity to notice. I am a CD convert, but since
music is more important to me than sound reproduction, I
can hardly be expected to content myself with CDs' miserable
little catalog. And as for dropout, well, all of these systems
will be made obsolete before another ten years have gone by anyway.
Won't we have digital home recording by then, or something?