Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

To harmonize or not to harmonize...

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 86 04:00:48 EDT
Subject: To harmonize or not to harmonize...

> From: Andrew Marvick

> I think John Lorch is probably right about the harmonizer/Fairlight
> issue. There's no audible sign of the harmonizer in the vocals of
> "Waking The Witch", as far as I can tell.  The inquisitor's voice is
> distorted, obviously, but not in the way a harmonizer distorts.

A digital harmonizer can be used as a pitch shifter.  This is what was
done.  This is from the mouth of Del Palmer, so it's likely to be
correct.  I asked him if the judge was done by Kate singing through a
pitch-shifter, and he said yeah.  He said that they had tried doing
the voice two different ways (1) using a harmonizer to shift the pitch
down an octave (2) playing a tape at slower speed.  He said that if he
recalled correctly, what was put on the album was the vocals digitally
pitch-shifted with a harmonizer.

			"Confess to me, girl!"

			 Doug