Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

CMI/So am I

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Date: Fri, 30 May 86 12:21 PDT
Subject: CMI/So am I

I think John Lorch is probably right about
the harmonizer/Fairlight issue. There's no
audible sign of the harmonizer in the vocals
of "Waking The Witch", as far as I can tell.
The inquisitor's voice is distorted, obviously,
but not in the way a harmonizer distorts.
Even with spoken rather than sung vocal sounds
the harmonizer produces a very distinct doubling
or tripling of the sound at regular intervals of
pitch. In fact, I'm not sure a harmonizer of that
kind was used anywhere on Hounds of Love. A good
example of the sound a harmonizer makes can be
heard in Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" during the bridge
where the word "sledge" is repeated by itself.
Speaking of Gabriel, I just wanted to admit to the
L-Hs that I, too, have to agree that So is a very
disappointing record. It is too earnest, too sentimental,
too preachy and completely retrogressive stylistically.
These criticisms are made only as points of comparison
with his own earlier work, not with anyone else's stuff.