Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

i'm here...

From: Swingset Disaster <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Wed, 21 May 86 22:35:24 EDT
Subject: i'm here...

>Re: fads vs. immortality

>< Hof sez rock is a fad >
>This "test-of-time" thing was discussed superbly in a Greg Taylor
>article in net.music. I used to be pretty concerned about whether
>something I like will stand the dreaded "test of time", but then that
>was my (half-discarded) classical training showing :-) :-). Nobody
>can tell what people 100 years from now will consider the real :-) music
>of the 20th century. Maybe rock is just a fad. Maybe it will last.
>If I enjoy it, I'll keep listening and that's enough. (Of course that
>doesn't explain why I get upset about Top 40, but oh well...)

Well, the last statement is what I meant.  I guess if you enjoy prententious
art-rock - that at least is reason for it's existence.  So .... I'm backing
off for now.

What I meant is that it being a "fad" was what made it so fun - so the butthole
surfers are a "fad" in this sense, they're "new", they do different stuff, etc.
Probably I'll be bored of them in a couple of years or they'll "XXXX" out like
Chriss and Cosey?  So now I'm defending trendoiditis...

On Throbbing Gristle - I think Sonic Youth said: We want to be a cross between
TG and Black Flag.

Krajewski sez about the Buttholes:
>Art Damage (in the Good sense of the phrase) that shakes, rattles, and rolls
Welllll, i don't know if THEY know they're artists  have you asked him, your
bobness? ...
having seen them live and  seen that video - they come off more like
drug-crazed individuals who have lots of good, new ideas.  Did they go to Art
school to get this moniker?   Is *that* what makes people artists?  hm?

>* The Way Heavy Metal Ought to Be: Go see the Meatmen.  You might be
>offended, but you won't be bored (or disappointed, if you've got even the
>tiniest sense of humour).

Sure!  when do they play, though?  There's an interview with them in the
lastest WDC Period - but should inform all those who were offended by the
use of "fag" that they may not enjoy this.  (same for the PMRC)

Alfke defines postmodern and sez:
>Anyhow, don't take it so seriously.
Do the post- moderenists believe that anyone can be an artist?

on promos:
	Just what we need, a morality question.

	How does everyone feel about promotional copies of records
	that always seem to appear at record conventions and used
	record stores.  I seem to have collected quite a few since
	they are generally kept in good shape.

	Is it OK to take advantage of a good deal or are we lining
	the pockets of unscrupulous DJ's at the expense of the artist ?

The promos you see at record stores are usually put there by unscrupulous
people and they're usually in good shape because said unscrupulous people
don't even listen to them.  That's the apparent scoop on WHFS, the so-called
"progressive" commercial radio station in this area.  The only independents
I ever hear them play are the cute, funny ones (Jerks on 45, Faith No More
and The Pherenomes, for instance) and the music/program director supposedely
doesn't even like rock (except for the Dead (!) ) and listens to jazz at home.

But the question I think to be asked is:  would you rather PAY for the promotion
or trust a label to generally put out good records like Dischord (dj's never
hear about this label since they refuse to promote), Homestead, SST or Crass
(whoops, another English project I like) and charge fair prices (like the avg
dishordian price is $5 mail-order and I think SST is selling their new stuff
for $6.50 mailorder).  Me?  I'd feel just as enriched sampling these labels
because I trust the taste of the people behind them and also respect the
inherent honesty and price.  (not saying ALL independent companies are
sterling examples - note: Enigma and PVC for instance).

Jim Wicinski