Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

synths, fads and guitarprocessing

From: "ROSSI J.A." <rossi@nusc.ARPA>
Date: 20 May 86 14:48:00 PST
Subject: synths, fads and guitarprocessing

something to be explored (those same old rock cliches need updating), after all
isn't that what Fairlights are for?

When I mentioned Glass, Tomita and Fast, I had no intention of being examples
of an elitist group.  I was simply trying to contrast musicians who use
mainly synthesizers to create textures and sound montages which are interesting
and different with Hof's (presumably) villians, such as Hi-NRGers who give
synthesizers an irritating name.  My comment on Glass still stands, though.
But, I agree, that as is the case with most 'Classical' musicians, it takes
a considerable time for their music to reach classic status.

Although Tomita is the most commercial of three synthesists I mentioned, he
bears mentioning for his pioneering work in 'true synthesis'.  I'm sure
that few people laugh when they hear 'Snowflakes are Dancing' from which
even Kate Bush ripped off a sound (although I would also entertain the
possibility that she never heard 'Snowflakes' so arrived at a similar sound
by herself) [ the sound to which I refer is the modulated 'whistling' on
Never For Ever'].

Isn't 30 years a little long a period to consider a fad?  The industrial
revolution, should therefore also be looked at as a fad, I guess.

'Expunging files the Navy way"
John
------