Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

sonicmeatchristianbaitvoid and cd's

From: Swingset Disaster <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Tue, 20 May 86 12:06:31 EDT
Subject: sonicmeatchristianbaitvoid and cd's

New Sonic Youth LP is out on SST entitled EVOL.  Carries on in the
tradition of Bad Moon Rising.  Kim is sounding more and more like
Britt (FALL) and some of the tunes *are* sounding the same despite
their claims otherwize.  Doug ought to be proud of one of the tracks
which is alternatively entitled "The Crucifixtion of Sean Pean" or
"Sean, Madonna and Me" or "Expressway to your Skull" ... this track
has a built in repeat at the end so it can time in on infinity and
lyrics like "I want to explode the milken maidenhead" (Madonna?).  My
favorite cut is "death to our friends" which reminds me of a modern
chamber orchestra with guitars.  Continuing in the tradition of Branca ...

New Meat Puppets LP is their worst.  They're going downhill fast.  At
least Up on The Sun had some unique qualities - this new one (I forget
the name ... wonder why) sounds just like Green on Red sounds just like
R.E.M. sounds just like Long Ryders.  Denigrators of Amercian guitar
music take note ... here's a slab to truly put down.  Saved by a thrash
and racous version of "Good Golly, Miss Molly".  Purchase at your own
risk (or if you're a deahead ...)

Got a limited (500 copies) edition recording by Blackhouse, the industrial
group with a twisted twist - suprise - they're Christian.  This record is
called "hope. . ." and every cover is different (looks like they cut up
some baroque art books and pasted different religous prints on each cover,
my copy had Jesus et al in a boat on a stormy sea).  Aside from the Christian
overtones, this might serve as a good intro to industrial music.  After this
you'll know whether you like this genre or not.  Me?  I can only take it in
short doses but texturists may have a ball with this.  Kinda leaves a perma-
sneer on your face, and empty feeling in your chest (like you're falling) ...

Squirrelbait EP/LP? has been out on homestead for awhile. They sounds
like Green on Red/REM again except it's speeded up
immensely and the vocalist sounds like he's been gargling
with Doug's razor blades.

The Pherenomes do a hilarious tune called Yuppiedrone - if you
can find the 45 get it - you'll die laughing.  STarts off with
the narrator droning mechanically the specs of his new stereo system
with the rejoinder "so I can listen to Adult Contemporary music ...
cranked up to three" or talking about his condo development ("and
no one knows I'm here ... unless I park in their space") and a
bridge-chorus-round of "I love my car and house" ...

If you want a godly example of metalcore to fill out your collection,
you can try Voivod from Canada.  Unlike the increasingly populated field
of rehashed commercial heavy metal this genre is turning into (far away
from its' punk roots), Voivod sports the old D.I.Y. ethic.  The drummer
painted the cover (heavy metal primitive) which jumps off the shelf and
grabs you by the t-shirt. And if you don't like it - you can always give

>From: "Scott Frazier" <DPH.SWF@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU>
>Subject: Cd Plants

>am not sure if there are other plants in production, but I do know
>that if Compact Disc ever catches on, the companies would LOVE to
>phase out vinyl. One of the claims to fame of this product is not in
>the disc itself, but in the case that your disc comes in. They are
>relatively cheap and they also won't break under any normal pressures
>that either shipping or storage could inflict. They do an excellent
>job of protecting your investment.  If you buy a disc and the prongs
>that hold it inside are broken, you might consider taking it back.

Well, it's obvious the "companies" would LOVE to phase out vinyl.  They've
lost their control over the means of production right and they'd LOVE
to get it back.  My solution:  don't buy/give credence to any CD's unless
they come out independently.  That's about 2 or 3, right?

>[Jeez, I can't stand those tiny ugly little boxes that CDs come in!  I
>wish they'd come in normal record jackets!!!  -- Doug]
Then don't buy them.