Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

PG Selling Out in style

From: tsung@aerospace.ARPA
Date: 19 May 86 15:44:16 PDT (Mon)
Subject: PG Selling Out in style
Posted-Date: 19 May 86 15:44:16 PDT (Mon)

Caught the unmistakable Peter Gabriel voice in a strong-beat, simplistic,
funky song on KROQ that will make those of you who didn't like
"Sledgehammer" **FAINT**.  It's a cut from "SO" called "Big Time".  It
has the same female chorus as in "Sledghammer" doing "Big time, big
time" in the background throughout.  Ah, but wait, seems like he's just
having a ball.  Here's some lyrics as I could make out (my ears
apologizes to Mr. PG for screw-ups):

	The place where I come from
	Is a small town
	They think so small
	They use small words
	But not me
	I'm smarter than that
	I worked it out
	I'll be stretching my mouth
	To let those big words come right out
	I've had enough
	I'm getting out
	To the city, the big big city
	I'll be a big noise
	With all the big boys
	(So much stuff I will know)
	And I will pray to be good
	As I kneel in my big church
	I know my way I'm making it
	My party have all the big names
	And I greet them with the widest smile
	Tell'em how my life
	Is one big adventure
	(They all stood amazed)
	As I show them around my house
	And my heaven will be a big heaven
	And I will walk thru the front door
		(big time)
	I know my way I'm making it
		(big time, big time)
	I've got to make it show, yeah
		(big time, big time)
	So much larger than life
		(big time)
	I'm gonna watch it growing
		(big time, big time)

	My car's getting bigger
	My house's getting bigger
	( --various other items getting bigger-- )
	And my BANK ACCOUNT
	Look at my circumstance
	(something?) Big, big, big, big, big, big, big, .... big.

Whew (thanks to my nimble fingers on the tape recorder).  Anyway, music-wise
we're talking Instant Top-10 contender here.  "Sledgehammer" sounds like
"The Dreaming" in comparison ... (ok, so I'm overreacting a little).
At least now we know where those rumors come from.

		"Absolutely the BEST song I've heard in SOooooo long ...
		 I can only wonder how Marvelous the 12" of that song's
		 gonna be ... I suggest you go out and get that album
		 'cause it's Extra Wonderful."	-- KROQ DJ

Fu-Sheng