Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

U.S. vs British music, *Plus* music requests

From: J. Peter Alfke <alfke@cit-vax>
Date: Tue, 13 May 86 11:47:31 -0800
Subject: U.S. vs British music, *Plus* music requests

Yahhhh!

Here I am, just out of the shower and dressed, hair dripping into the sleep
in my eyes, I read my mail and *wham*

"Hey!  You got net.music in my love-hounds!!!!"

If the debate doesn't cool off a bit verrry soon, I hope friend Doug will
put on his honorary brown-shirt (given free to all moderators) and squelch
it.  'Nuff said for now.

My position?  I have always seemed to favor British groups, from my "prog"
period (Genesis, Floyd, Yes...) up to now (today I read my mail to Cabaret
Voltaire and am replying with Joy Division playing).  Dunno why.  I do get
very sick very easily of he-man attitudes, and these turn up a lot more
often in American music.

It might also be that more interesting things get into the top 40 in Britain
than in the U.S. (much much smaller sample size, so more volatile, and small
groups don't get overlooked as easily), and so people or radio stations who
keep up with the British scene can find interesting music more easily --
finding alternative U.S. music requires some digging.

My current problem: There are no really good record stations I can pick up
from here in Pasadena.  The best I can manage is KROQ (trendy nu-wav). I
should be able to get KSPC from Pomona, a college station playing college-
station music, but my receiver just won't.

--SO--

Can people reccommend good obscure new music (esp. American) for me to
search out?  I can find the stuff easily enough, thanks to Poo Bah records,
but I just don't know what to buy.

Warning:  I have a low tolerance for thrash -- "Never Mind the Bollocks",
early X and Dead Kennedys are enough for me thank you.

I also get sick easily of people screaming in a big room while a portable
tape recorder picks up the instruments.  That is: I liked Big Black's "Lungs",
but "Racer X" left me totally cold, as does anything by Jim Foetus.  I do
like Throbbing Gristle, however ...

Anyhow, I'd really appreciate seeing some descriptions of various bands'
sounds and albums.  I'm especially intrigued by the following:
	* Butthole Surfers   (always assumed they were hardcore!)
	* Meat Puppets
	* Executive Slacks (other than "You Can't Smile...", which I have)
...and any of the other names people have been tossing around.

Are there any great American synth bands, other than Executive Slacks?

						--Peter Alfke
						  alfke@csvax.caltech.edu
PS: In response to someone's query: The
    new Smiths album should be out in