Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Nite Flight / KB Show

From: "ROSSI J.A." <rossi@nusc.ARPA>
Date: 11 May 86 11:53:00 PST
Subject: Nite Flight / KB Show

I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it.  Since the videos have been
around, the first part of the show was not surprising.  What I found
totally amazing is how different Kate's music (lack there of?) must have
been, pre HoL.  I still don't own any KB stuff other than HoL (mainly because
local stores don't have much selection, and secondly because I have been
waiting to purchase The Dreaming, which seems to be out of stock in CT, and
has been for some time).  Is the concert footage representative of what
KB was doing before (presumably) The Dreaming?  If so, I now see why her
bin is in the Rock/Folk section along with Roger Witticker (SP?) and not
in the Rock/Progressive section with the likes of Peter Gabriel and Eno.
I guess I wasn't ready for the mundane music, behind the sometimes incomp-
rehensible vocals and mime/dance.  I sorta expected the high pitch of the
vocals, because everyone who has reviewed HoL remarked about the magnificent
vocal range she has.  I also expected the mime/dance since this was the
first context I ever heard Kate Bush mentioned in.  What I am asking myself
now is, how much I could appreciate an audio only version of this stuff.
Where is the creativity in musical style expressed in HoL.  Does any of the
earlier stuff even have synthesizers and complex rhythms, or does it all
sound like a Rock rendition of Jacques Brelle (SP?) music.  I was partic-
ularly dissapointed by absense of originality in the music in the more
rock tunes she did (the last one in particular), do all the previous LPs
have music provided by that back up group of musicians used in the concert,
or does Kate play instruments, other than the piano, on the earlier works?
In all, I thoroughly enjoyed the concert stuff.  Kate demonstrated that she
has a remarkable vocal range, and an incredible dance/mime ability.  Her
piano playing was not too shabby either.  I am still in a state of shock
concerning the mundane simplicity of the 2-3 chord music behind the vocals
and dht dance, however.
I assume that Lionheart is on the LP of that same name, Is this a good choice
for a third KB album (after I find The Dreaming), or will I find more creat-
ivity elsewhere (Kick Inside etc.)?
Finally, no question about it, if I had my selection of partner to be stranded

John

------