Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Message from Sussex

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Date: Sat, 10 May 86 11:14 PDT
Subject: Message from Sussex

The message printed below was sent directly to
me from Sussex, England (aren't these computers
amazing?!) by Hugh Maher, one of our star
American KT fans. He says he hasn't yet figured
out how to send to Love-Hounds. He gave me the
following ID #, for those who know what it means
and want to write to him:

ssud3%uk.ac.sussex.vax2@ucl-cs.arpa

I was particularly interested in your posting because
of the CD information. I have a sony D-5 compact player
which I bought about a year and a half ago, once I knew
I was going to be coming over here to study for a year.
I really wanted to get one right away, but wanted one
that I could use in the U.S., but then also bring over
here for a year and be able to plug into the wall sockets.
The D-7 at the time was the only portable player, and
I needed a portable player (i.e. runs on 9-V direct current)
to be able to do this. I was actually visiting Berkeley
over the Easter break, and I bought one of the new sony
D-7's which is really great. (I'm going to sell my
D-5 over here, since the CD player prices are about twice
what they are back home)(In fact, the CD's themselves are
also about twice as much! Lots of Value added taxes and stuff)

Anyway, that wasn't the whole point of writing! You mentioned
that all the Hounds of Love CD's were Japanese made, which
is true. However, there were two Japanese pressings, which
are very different (at least if you are sort of picky...)
The first one was sort of a "Rush job" by EMI, who wanted
a simultaneous release in Europe and the UK of the album
and the CD. So I think they ordered it pressed long before
the album was pressed. The reason I'm sure of this is because
I saw several Japanese second pressings of HoL (presumably
for domestic Japanese release - i.e. later), which are
different in that:
1) They exactly resemble the album artwork, e.g. the "Kate
   Bush" and "Hounds of Love" calligraphy is off-center,
   whereas on the original pressing, they are lined up,
   and in black print. (they are pink on the Japanese CD)

   (In fact, I saw a "proof" of the original artwork for
    the album, which exactly matches the original Jap CD.
    I guess they decided to revise the artwork after the
    orig. CD had been pressed.)

2) The quote on the back is credited as to "The Holy Grail"
   on the original CD, but is correctly replaced with
   "The Coming of Arthur" on the Japanese 2nd pressing.

3) The actual label on the CD is totally different, with
   the standardized "toshiba-emi" layout and print, rather
   than the UK calligraphy.

4) The song titles on the back of the JapCD are in different
   colors - I think the 1st side is printed in black, and
   the second in gold or something.

4) The tone colors used in the photos are lighter in the Jap
   ones, and more light pink, rather than purple.

There are probably more differences, depending upon how picky
there are probably more differences, depending upon how picky
you want to be! I could probably get you one if you are interested.

I've never seen the U.S. cover photo on a CD yet. Maybe when
they open the Capitol-Emi plants in the US and Canada? Are they
open yet? There's supposed to be one in England (at Swindon)
operating now, but I havn't noticed anything yet, such as
CD's of The Dreaming and Never Forever.