Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Danielle Dax

From: Susanne E Trowbridge <umcp-cs!jhunix!ins_aset@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Date: Fri, 9 May 86 8:38:55 EDT
Subject: Re: Danielle Dax

Danielle used to be in a band called the Lemon Kittens.  Her latest
record is a 12", "Fizzing Human Bomb," which is probably the most
"accessible" track she's ever done.  It's really good, treading
the line between the weird and the commercial.  On the b-side, we
have "Bad Miss 'M'," definitely *not* commercial (in the vein of
her earlier "Evil Honky Stomp"), and one more which I can't remember
the title of!

I sent a very long posting last week entitled "Sue Answers All Your
Burning Questions!", but it seems to have gotten lost en route.
Anyway, somebody kept asking about Scritti Politti's "Songs to
Remember" album, and I said that it doesn't sound at all like "Cupid
and Psyche 85."  You can't dance to it.  It's sort of eclectic pop.
I don't really like it, even though "Cupid and Psyche" is a guilty
pleasure of mine...Green is actually a very intellectual person with
some definite political beliefs.  I think he's a Marxist, but he
knows the virtues of "selling out" for those capitalist dollars.

Records I've recently bought--

That Petrol Emotion, "Manic Pop Thrill" -- Title says it all!  They
used to be the Undertones.  Now that Feargal Sharkey is doing covers
of Lone Justice tunes, his former bandmates are making music that's
accessible *without* being insipid.

The Three Johns, "World By Storm" -- T3J have always been capable of
making great music, but they get sloppy sometimes.  I doubt they'll
ever make a truly wonderful album.  This one's got a hit-and-miss
ratio of, oh, 2 good songs to every mediocre one, which isn't too
bad, I guess.  This guitar-bass-& drums trio can produce some powerful
sounds.

Until December, "Secrets"/"We Are The Boys" -- The group that sent
out the condoms as a promotional gimmick.  Side One sounds like every
Giorgio Moroder disco production, and Side Two sounds like Divine's
"You Think You're A Man."  What do you expect from Hi NRG, though.
Actually, I didn't *buy* this, I got it in the mail at the paper.

-Sue