Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Back to the 60's ?

From: "ROSSI J.A." <rossi@nusc.ARPA>
Date: 8 May 86 11:12:00 PST
Subject: Back to the 60's ?

Tim Wicinski brought it up, this leaving the 60's question.  Even more so
than comparisons of Kate's style with other performers, of any decade, we
do, indeed, appear to be in a trend back toward the 60's in many creative
and moralistic dimensions.  It isn't surprising that musical ideaology
which was prevalent in the 60's is showing up again in the second half
of the 80's.  This is separate from any neo-psychedelicism which preys on
exact imitation of 60's type music, but a descriptive trend in the thought
processes which are responsible for creative thinking, in general.
For example, I have noted a remarkable change in the moralistic attitudes
of college students in the last 3 or so years.  Initially, this change was
reflected in concern for third-world and developing countries.  Most recently
the avid student protests concerning South Africa investments are of
interest.  Last week, the students of Connecticut College actually took
over the administration building in protest of the discriminatory hiring
practices of the school.  I'm not sure, but I think that this is the first
successfull student takeover attempt to occur since the very early 70's.
Now that the Yuppie attitude is going, and is apparently being replaced with
an attitude reflecting concern by political protest, should it be surprising
if music follows a similar path.

(VAX isa shutting down, to be continued .... maybe)

John
------