Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Visible LP dating

From: "ROSSI J.A." <rossi@nusc.ARPA>
Date: 4 May 86 16:13:00 PST
Subject: Visible LP dating

One thing I have found very frustrating lately is the trend I've noticed
for non-mainstream LPs (esp imports) neglecting to put a date on the
cover.  Most recently, my experience with the Cocteau Twins LPs, Garlands and
the Pink Opaque, really got me pissed off.  When I purchase an LP because
I have heard something interesting about the musicians somewhere (in this
I have heard something interesting about the musicians somewhere (in this
case here in L-H), I usually buy 2 albums, if available.  My usual scheme
is to buy the most recent release and either a 'classic' or a mid-period
LP.  This has served me well in the past.  Now, going through the Cocteau
bin, I am mety with an assortment of 12" disks, some EP's (even these
are getting harder to recognize) and a few LP's which appeared to be
albvum compilations.  Nothing had a visible date on it.  Dont ask me why
but Garlands, looked 'newer' than anything in the bin so I purchased it
in belief that it was the new 'pretty-music' LP mentioned in L-H. Surprise,
surprise, surprise the first playing shocked me out of my sweat-socks.
Expecting a placid, melodic entrancing mood piece, freaked when the
heavy death-durge with rhythm started.  Don't get me wrong, I like the album.
I would, however, not use it a romantic interlu (unless, maybe, if a Bundy
like 'urge' possessed me).  At any rate, this was just a long lead-up to
my inquiring where you go to get discographies of non-mainstream acts.
If, for instance, you needed to know what the latest Springstune (sic) LP
was you could ask any 12 year old.  Where do you go to find, say, the latest
compilation by the Surfers, etc.

'Out for lunch, be back tomorrow'

John
------