Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Yeesh!

From: Joe Turner <cutter%umass-boston.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Date: Fri, 2 May 86 10:22:23 edt
Subject: Yeesh!

My dear friend in Sussex, UK (who will be fed to the octopi at MarineLand
when I get my grubby hands on him) is NOT a Kate Bush fan, so how was I to
know? He only went to the show, not expecting to take fucking notes. I
should have made sure before reporting. "Oops."

And anyway, with the way Madonna's been looking lately (i.e. "Live to Tell"
video), I wouldn't mind being stuck up her wazoo... :)

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

For those who care: The CD of "Cupid & Psyche '85" by Scritti Politti (all
hail Green Gartside!) features a different remix of "Hypnotise" than the
tape. [finger making circling motion in air]

And, fer chrissake, WHAT is the Scritti album "Songs to Remember" like???
I'd like to know before I plop down bux for it.

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

On the subject of new bands: Gods, people! It's hard enough finding these
gems in the stores, much less what they're like. Whomever it was who put
those playlists - I dunno about anyone else, but I dunno WHAT kind of music
half those people are... maybe I'm asking too much?

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

Nu rex: I picked up singles from the Shop Assistants, Red Letter Day, and
The Wedding Present...

Shop Assistants: "All Day Long" EP. Nice stuff. Loud guitars, heavy drums,
good vocals from this 3-girl 1-man band. They also have a newer EP out with
the song "Safety Net". The "All Day Long" EP is well-written, there's a lot
of energy in the band, and they're competant musicians. The last song "It's
Up to You" is a nice slow, soft ballad. Good stuff.

Red Letter Day: "Wherever You May Run"/"Suzie's Bombed Out Tonight". It's
loud, it's distorted (not J&MC), it's gritty, it's Red Letter Day. "Wherever
You May Run" is a nicely paced song with horrid vocals (slightly off-key)
but that's OK. The b-side is a cute ditty, sung better, and kinda cute.

The Wedding Present: "Go Out and Get 'Em, Boy"/"The Moment Before Everything's
Spoiled Again". GOOD STUFF! The b-side is better, though. These guys can
sing, play, write, and produce. A nice balance of rhythm guitars and intel-
ligent lyrics makes this a nice pair of songs.

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

WHERE can I find the "Music For Palaces" bootleg? I've never seen any Eno
bootlegs, ever... if you have the $25 or $30, GET "MORE DARK THAN SHARK"!!!
I flipped through it, and it's incredible. Not only do you get the lyrics
to Eno songs like "Kurt's Rejoinder" (anyone ever figure that one out?), you
also get BEAUTIFUL ART and a neat-o-spiff-o-keen look into Eno and his work.
A must-have for anyone who has ever heard Brian Eno. It even gives you a
complete biography of the man...

Later.

				Save your parity bits for big cash prizes!
						Joe

PAPER: Joe Turner, 329 Ward Street, Newton Centre MA 02159
SOUND WAVES: (617)/969-5993
CSNET: cutter@umass-boston.csnet
ARPA : umb!cutter@csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP : {decvax,ima,linus,sri-unix}!cca!ringwld!cutter