Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "FAGS" at radio stations

From: J. Peter Alfke <alfke@csvax.caltech.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 May 86 13:47:44 -0800
Subject: Re: "FAGS" at radio stations

Greg Earle (elroy!smeagol!earle@csvax.caltech.edu) writes:
>Sound Choice mag:
>	I'd like to second Hofmann's comments on Sound Choice, and I'd like
>to add that it's worth it just to read page 7, in the Letters To The Editor
>section.  Apparently the editor tweaked a few noses out of joint at some
>geeko radio station, and they wrote in to whine and complain about how unfair
>he was to them, and to defend this and that, etc.  Suffice it to say that
>said editor NUKED the HELL out of these FAGS far better than I ever could,
>and much laughter was had from visualizing said geeks with tails between
>legs.

    \begin{FLAME}	%%% Friendly disagreement begins here

I'm going to complain about your word-choice there in the third-to-last
line there, Greg.  You may take me more seriously on this if I affirm
that I am a good old-fashioned American straight-boy, but it must be
said that several of my closest friends are, yes, FAGS.  They (and I)
prefer the word "gay"; "fag" is pretty much comparable to "nigger".

In particular, it seemed to me pretty strange for you to choose that
word, since most of the gay people I know have better musical taste than
your average being-on-the-street, or even my average friend.  One in
particular (reading this digest right now!)  has introduced me to fab
slabs of vinyl from such gods as HULA and EXECUTIVE SLACKS, which he
received notice of from the D.J. at some gay club in H'wood.

Perhaps "ASSWIPES" or "JERK-OFFS" or "SCUMBAGS" or "CRAVEN CURS" would
have made more sense.

    \end{FLAME}

There.  That wasn't bad, was it?  Barely singed.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Were this Usenet, Andy Beals would be after me with a pitchfork by now,
but it's not.  I'll redeem myself anyway, by adding some stuff of
musical relevance:

[1]  Have heard little or no talk of the new Prince album.  Perhaps you
     people, scared away by "Around the World In a Day", have been loath
     to buy "Parade"?  Well, by all means get it.  The "Around..." stuff
     has been done RIGHT, and there's plenty of stuff that harks back to
     earlier Prince, as well as earlier funk & soul.  A class act.

[2]  Just got a used copy of "Modern Lovers 'Live'".  Is this a good
     sampling of later Jonathan Richman material?  All I've heard is the
     first Modern Lovers album, and I haven't had time to listen to this
     one yet.

[3]  I asked this a while ago, but there's been recent mention of early
     Simple Minds (even by the selfsame Greg Earle) so:
     The "Trouser Press Guide to New-Wave Records" asserts that the name
     "Cocteau Twins" comes from an early Simple Minds song.  Anyone know
     the fax?  I'd love to know what the line is!

[4]  The Bauhaus collection (1979-1983) is out on CD, at least the first
     half.  Saw it, didn't buy it (most Bauhaus doesn't do too much for
     me).

[5]  Last year 4AD announced there was going to be a collection of posters
     of 23 Envelope artwork.  These is/are the person/people who do most
     4AD album covers (Cocteaus, Colourbox, Dif Juz...).  Anyone seen it?
     Or know where to get it?  Or know who 23 Envelope is/are?  These are
     some of the most gorgeous album covers I've ever seen!

[6]  I think my 3-foot^2 promo poster of Kate (cover of the live EP with
     her in the weird swords&sorcery outfit) is gone !!!!!  Does anyone
     know where I put it????  (Yes, I've already checked the closet.)
     At least I still have my PG "Security" poster.

[7]  Smiths album out May 5 !!!!

						--Peter Alfke
						  alfke@csvax.caltech.edu
Horrible suspicion:
   Please, Doug, give me back my poster and I'll
   take back everything I said about your analyses
   of Kate's songs.  You can send it airmail from
   MIT and I'll pay the postage.  Please.  (Do you
   have my Talking Heads poster too?)