Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

> Subject: Today, V66 -- tomorrow, zee vorld!!
>
>As I was sitting down to a leisurely late dinner (~10:30pm), I flicked on
>WVJV-TV, channel 66 in Boston. I expected some cheap rock videos to help me
>digest my food, but what did I get?
>
>A HALF-HOUR OF KATE BUSH VIDEOS!!
>
>Yes, beleive it or die, they showed:
>
>	Running Up That Hill (real version)
>	The Man with the Child in his Eyes
>	Cloudbusting
>	Hounds of Love
>	Sat In Your Lap (British version w/lips in sync)

Here in LA there is a show called Friday Night Videos (not sure if the show
is national or not), on one of the 3 biggie channels.  Usually shows the
most boring, top 10 videos and the like.  A couple of months ago I was
talking to my roommate while the TV was on, and all of a sudden, yes,
they were showing KB videos!  Probably the same compilation Joe saw,
plus "Suspended in Gaffa".  On NATIONAL TELEVISION!  And just to drive
me crazy, they showed about 10-15 seconds of "Breathing" at closing
credit.  After the Alan-Lalena argument over the artistic value of
wrapping oneself in saran-wrap, I was dying to see it!  (What little
I saw looked great, reminded me in mood of Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes").

They claimed to do this on some regular basis, so I stayed up for it
for two weeks but no more such luck.  So I gave up.  Anybody caught
this, or knows what the story is?

***

Last Friday I went to Hollywood's Tower Records to get some blank tapes,
and I walked into a dream!  There was a whole row of "Clearance" records
(cut-outs, as it turned out), with a great selection.  I picked up many
of those bands I've only seen discussed in L-H but never heard, including
(just to drive you guys crazy):
	Joy Division (Unknown Pleasures)
	Cocteau Twins (Treasure)
	Japan (Polaroid), David Sylvain (B.Trees)
	Tones on Tail (3EP compilation)
	Ultravox (Rage In Eden & Ha!Ha!Ha!)
	John Foxx (In Mysterious Ways)
	Nico (Marble Index)

I GOT THEM FOR $1.99 EACH!!!.

There were also many Japanese pressings for $4.99.  I got Genesis' "Foxtrot",
which they were playing when I walked in.  And get this: when they finished
Foxtrot, they played the entire Kate Bush "Lionheart" album!!

(Also in the bins: John Cale, Black Flag, Bauhaus, Television, Cure, more
of the above artists, and yes, "Lionheart")

I had to keep pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming.  So like,
what's the story here?  Why this flood of British/Japanese cutouts?

(I went back next day, these intereting ones were all gone)
***

I loved the "Tones on Tail".  How are Bauhaus/Love&Rockets similar/different?

***

Victorialand at 33rpm: Dierdre O'Donahue at KCRW did the same thing when
she play a cut from this album.  When "the guy"'s eerie voice came in,
she realized her mistake ... the cut was "Little Spacey"!

***

Fu-Sheng

Post-breakup blues: out shopping for records you didn't buy before because
your ex-SO had them.