Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Duran Sound-Alikes

From: Robb Leatherwood <Robb-Leatherwood%LADC@HI-MULTICS.ARPA>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 86 21:04 PST
Subject: Duran Sound-Alikes
Randomness: Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself. --Weller

I goofed, but here's my message...

    Sent: 04/24/86 20:58  Rcvd: 04/24/86 21:03  Number: 1133
      To: Lippard.Multics@SYSTEM-M                From: Robb Leatherwood
Reply To: .ZZZSCTRL@L66A
      Re: Depeche Mode / Cocteau Twins [1422]

Well, since Duran Duran are Japan rip-offs, does that make Depeche Mode a
Japan rip-off once removed?

Seriously, I like all 3 bands, though I like Japan by far the most.  I like
DM more for their singles, and didn't like "Some Great Reward" very well,
but "A Broken Frame" is a really decent album.  Duran started out good but
went downhill.  The second side of their first album sounds very Japan (the
band, not the country,) and Rio was good, though not as good as DD1.  I,
personally, liked their not-so-popular tunes more than the hits.  The stuff
they've been putting out recently makes me want to vomit.

How can I write semi-favorably about Depeche Mode and Duran Duran while
listening to Bauhaus?  Who knows.  It's a mystery.

Later,
  -Shoo