Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Talk Talk; West End Girls

From: tsung@aerospace.ARPA
Date: 21 Apr 86 10:43:00 PST (Mon)
Subject: Talk Talk; West End Girls
Posted-Date: 21 Apr 86 10:43:00 PST (Mon)

I got the Talk Talk album (with "Life's What You Make It" in it).  I like
it a lot.  The vocals (along with the instruments, of course) evoke a very
distinct atmosphere in the songs.  I can only give you some adjectives:
reminicent, haunting, evocative.  "Life's ..." is one of the more upbeat
songs.  On the Cocteau Twins end of spectrum, but not as extreme. (Some
may call it lame, depend on the mood you're in).

Somebody mentioned Talk Talk's previously album before, can you give me
more information?  Anybody know more about these guys?

***

The LA Times Sunday Calendar mentioned that "West End Girls" was actually
released in '84 (No. 2 in KROQ's '84 year end survey!).  It "flopped" and
also they were having problems with their producer.  They finally changed
producer and later released "Opportunity".  When "WEGirls" was a hit the
record co. "rushed [the Pet Shop Boys] to the studio" to get an album out.
(Judge the result for yourself).  There apparantly exists 4 or 5 versions
of "WEGirls".

***

Don't try to shade it
Beauty is naked