Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Interview revisited

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 86 19:06 PST
Subject: Interview revisited

Hi, Kate fans. A. Marvick responding to unexpectedly
voluminous verbiage from parts East and elsewhere.
Knowing nothing about inter-computer communication
as yet, I may frequently commit gaffes of user
etiquette. Please bear with me. Concerning
Douglas Allen's interview (New York, 11/20/85) with
Kate Bush, I was very happy to find that among the
questions he posed were two which I
consider to be of incalculable importance, to wit:
1) What did the new "backward track" (from
"Watching You Without Me") entail in the
way of technical difficulties?; and 2) What
does she feed her cats?  Unfortunately for
Mr. Allen, suitable follow-up time either was
not available, or was cleverly and
deliberately evaded by Kate herself. No doubt
the inadequacy of Kate's replies to these two
equally crucial questions was intentional.
In the first case, the excerpt from "Watching
Me Without You" was
designed, I think it is clear, with
the primary aim of intriguing the serious (and
at least mildly obsessive) listener, and of
encouraging him or her to spend untold
periods of time puzzling over both its
precise sonic make-up and its root meaning,
which latter I am convinced is of
considerable depth. The solution of this
passage is more important than I can say,
and I am certain all readers are in total
agreement on this point. It is therefore
not excessive optimism on my part to expect
that all readers will henceforth make it
a habit to study this passage with a critical
and analytical ear at least once each day until
such time as an unassailable solution has
been reached, shared with the international
Kate Bushological community, and, after
suitable discussion among students of the
subject, ratified by the majority and approved
-- if possible, through official channels -- by
Kate herself. In future days, should interest
prove sufficient, further details and theories
in connection with the new "backwards" passage
will emanate from this source. In the second
case, Kate's charming but too-brief reply
indicates, I submit, a reluctance to consider,
at least within the context of an interview for
fans, the ultimate implications of her commitment
to strict vegetarianism, and the attendant
ethical dilemma which arises in the face of her
equal devotion to the rights and dignity of all
animals -- the instinctual carnivorous bent
of the domestic cat being, arguably, one of that
noble and elegant animal's rights by nature.
   My sincere thanks to everyone for their
patience and consideration. Responses,
obviously, are encouraged. Until they are
received, may we all continue in our venture
INTO THE GARDEN...

[Editorial note: I met Mr. Marvick in Romford, England, at the Kate
Bush Club Convention at the end of last year, so it seems likely that
there is now another Katefan almost as fanatical as I on the list.
And if Hugh Maher (another American who was at the KBC Convention)
ever figures out how to send mail from the University of Sussex, then
there will be yet another.  --Doug]