Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

CD's // Cabaret Voltaire

From: J. Peter Alfke <alfke@csvax.caltech.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 86 13:39:47 -0800
Subject: CD's // Cabaret Voltaire

I've been hearing about some interesting CD releases:

	() Joy Division "Unknown Pleasures" and "Closer"
	() Cabaret Voltaire (various; I've seen "Arm of the Lord")
	() The entire 4AD catalog, esp. Cocteau Twins

Anyone seen any of these, or have more detailed info?  I hear that the
JD releases are limited editions of 4000 ... oh no!
Someone in this forum mentioned that the 4AD stuff would be released gradually;
can someone alert me when they see the first trickle?

///////////

Other stuff I'd like to see ...

	() Anything by Ligeti, a modern composer (much of the music in 2001
		is by him)
	() THE DREAMING !!!!!  Never Forever!
	() Peter Gabriel III  ("Games Without Frontiers")
	() Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" or "Selling England..."
	() Any XTC prior to "English Settlement" (esp. "Black Sea")
	() Any Steely Dan prior to "Aja"
	() Tones on Tail "Pop"
	() Talking Heads "'77" and "The Name of This Band..."
	() Andy Summers/Robert Fripp "I Advance Masked"
	() Will Sergeant "Themes For Grind"  (fat chance...)

Anyone seen these?  Maybe I should get the album covers put on the backs
of milk cartons ...

{As for "The Dreaming", Doug opined that it would not be released because
 the album sold poorly (only "just" went gold); but come on -- how many copies
 has "Pornography" by the Cure sold?  Or TG's "Entertainment Through Pain"?
 And I've seen both of those on disc!}

///////////

As long as I've mentioned Cabaret Voltaire ... Hearing "Sensoria" first got
me interested, so I went out and got "Micro-Phonies", then "The Crackdown",
then the Crepuscle stuff (2 EPs), then "2x45".  Now I've bought "Voice of
America" and "Red Mecca" and, after first being turned off, am beginning to
see through the noise and actually like them.

SO: What should I buy next?  What is considered to be CV's best album?  Is
Hula really the new CV?

						--Peter Alfke
						  alfke@csvax.caltech.edu
"RICH CHOCOLATY GOODNESS !!"