Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Suicide, Sex, Depeche Mode, Radio Songs, Drugs. Fun stuff, y'know.

From: Joe Turner <cutter%umass-boston.csnet@.ARPA>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 86 14:07:41 est
Subject: Suicide, Sex, Depeche Mode, Radio Songs, Drugs. Fun stuff, y'know.

Doug moans:
> Right now I'm trying to figure out the slowest and most painful way to
> do myself in.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Hanging?  Boiling myself
> in lead?  Planting bamboo sprouts in my stomach? ...

This is Love-Hounds, not net.suicide!

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

Sensual song, eh? I'd check out (don't hit me) the slower songs on Go West's
self-titled album. Pretty nice stuff. (What do people think of that album
anyway?) You can also try the B-side of Brian Eno's album _Before_and_After_
Science_. Very romantic, on the whole. There's also the slower ballads on
_The_Lexicon_of_Love_ from ABC, particularly "All of My Heart". My record
collection ain't that huge, so this is of course limited. You should also check
out the Genesis songs "Harlequin", "Ripples", "Your Own Special Way", and
"Aisle of Plenty"... (I had to slip in SOME Genesis!)

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

I heard two interesting things on the radio yesterday... 1, a version of the
Eurythmics' song "I Could Give You (a Mirror)" done a la a demo tape. Anyone
know where this was culled from? 2, Brian Eno doing a cover of "The Lion Sleeps
Tonight" (oweemowet-oweemowet!). Anyone know where this was taken from?

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

Depche Mode's latest disc, _Black_Celebration_, is out domestically. First
reports indicate that it has less of a complex layered feel than
_Construction_Time_Again_, although the Deppers have kept up the songwriting
quality. WFNX is playing the first single, "Stripped", which is one of the two
or three faster-paced trax on the vinyl. More as this develops.

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

An aside: I don't know about anyone else, but I find it annoying to read people
talking about how they do drugs. This is about MUSIC, folks. If you are going
to review a concert, review the CONCERT, not what you were on. Call it
censorship, call me a relic, but it's out of place here. I'm not saying don't
do drugs, I'm just asking for you to not TELL me about it, or how I should
listen to such-and-such an album while on drugs. I dunno, am I out of line?
Doug?

				Save your parity bits for big cash prizes!
						Joe

PAPER: Joe Turner, 329 Ward Street, Newton Centre MA 02159
SOUND WAVES: (617)/969-5993
CSNET: cutter@umass-boston.csnet
ARPA : umb!cutter@csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP : {decvax,ima,linus,sri-unix}!cca!ringwld!cutter