Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

New Laurie Anderson LP

From: J. Peter Alfke <alfke@csvax.caltech.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 86 07:13:20 -0800
Subject: New Laurie Anderson LP

Well, the new Laurie Anderson album is out !

	It's called: Home of the Brave (A Film by Laurie Anderson)
	It contains:
		Smoke Rings	Language is a Virus
		White Lily	Radar
		Late Show	Sharkey's Night
		Talk Normal	Credit Racket
	It features:
		Nile Rodgers (guitar & some production)
		Adrian Belew
		Bill Lasswell
		Dolette McDonald & Janice Pendarvis (bvox, of 'Heads fame)
		David van Tieghem
		and others.

I've listened to it once; full critical opinion to follow after a few
more spins.  Some basic things:

	* It is most definitely a soundtrack to a (concert?) film of the
		same name.
	* 6 new songs, 2 repeats, although the repeats sound MUCH different.
	* Sounds like Mr. Heartbreak for the most part, only funkier.

The woman can still write fab lyrics:

	I don't know about your dreams
	but mine are sort of hackneyed.
	Same thing, night after night.
	Just ... repetitive.
	And the color is really bad --
	and the themes are just infantile.
	And you always get what you want
	and that's just not the way life is.

	I turned the corner in Soho today and someone
	looked right at me and said: Oh no!
	Another Laurie Anderson Clone!
	And I said: Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!
	Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!

My suspicion is, though, that she has, if not sold out, at least
developed the whole thing into a formula.

Full review in a few days.
						--Peter Alfke
						  alfke@csvax.caltech.edu
"Que es mas macho? Staircase or smoke rings?"