Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Pop music and why we dispise it...

From: Serling%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Living in the Twilight Zone <Serling%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 86 21:57:47 EST
Subject: Pop music and why we dispise it...

Greetings. I have a question to pose - Just why do we, in general,
dislike the majority of music termed 'pop'? I have a few theories...

OVERPLAY - Let me tell you, sometimes if I hear a song too many times,
           such as any Prince or Madonna tune, every time I hear them
           I feel the urge to lash out and destroy something. I'm
           serious, and it's not just the two standard pop stars I men-
           tioned above. Is it a truly good band that stands the test of
           overplay, or will anything succumb to sounding monotonous and
           draw out that urge to immediately change the station?

LACK OF MUSICAL ABILITY - This very well could be the case, too. Pop music
           generally seems to follow a standard pattern, with very few
           variations from the norm. Recently, though, I've seen different
           bands I like hitting the charts, such as ABC, Scritti Politti,
           Depeche Mode, even the Cult has a pop single. Granted, as I
           believe Robert Smith once said, "Everyone has to eat." and
           it's been said many progressive bands write one particular
           song designed to make money, still...

SNOBBISHNESS - Or, lastly, are the people who follow progressive music
               putting themselves in a class above the 'average' person
               because they listen to music most people scorn?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a combination of all of the above reasons.
And you don't have to actively listen to the radio to get put off. Just
walk into a store or two, or visit a friend who only has a radio, etc.
I'd be quite interested in other views...

                                         Mitch