Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

depressing songs/weird movies/Lunch

From: jdarnold@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 86 09:28:23 -0500
Subject: depressing songs/weird movies/Lunch

My favorite "depressing" song is "Amplifier" by the dBs.  It is
wickedly clever in that the lyrics are sad and depressing (a guy
committing suicide after his girl cleaned him out), yet the music
itself is bouncy and bright.

	She took his gun,
	She took his knife.
	He took his drugs,
	They took his life.

	She left his amplifier,
		and it didn't work.

A couple of songs, while not necessarily "upbeat" per se, are just the
sort of thing to get you going on your own are:
	a) You lost a lot when you lost me - the Rave-Ups
	       Not really the title, but you get get the idea
	       behind the song (anyone else out there heard more
	       about the Rave-Ups? I have their album "Town & Country"
	       but no time to hear it, yet).
	b) I don't care any more - Phil Collins
	       I know, I know, not Collins . . . but this is the
	       type of Collins song that I really like: heavy drums,
	       angry lyrics.  Enough to spur anyone on to go it
	       it alone.

If you really want to smile, try anything by Capt. Sensible.  Light,
poppy music, guaranteed to lighten the atmosphere.  Not for the
introspective.

I second the motion for Liquid Sky as Ultimate weird.  Also, for a
different kind of "weird", try "Blood Simple".  Gory, discordant, and
sharply photographed, the story doesn't have much going for it, but
the feeling certainly is disconcerting!  PS. Cinemax is going to be
showing both "Blood Simple" and, surprise, surprise, "Eraserhead"!
Those of you who have seen "Eraserhead", will it still work on cable?
Or should the first viewing be in a theater?

I, too, would be willing to give lunch a try, with one disclaimer:
being on crutches due to close examination by a careless motorist of
my motorcycle tends to slow my mobility, but I'm game anyhow.

	<Jon>