Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Moo-vies

From: Joelll%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Atrocity Joelll)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 86 16:16:58 EST
Subject: Moo-vies

Hi....

Seeing as my first entry got screwed up, here is my ballot, with what
I feel are the 10 strangest movies that I've seen....

1: Pink Floyd's the Wall
2: Dark Star
     (especially good if you like cheap effects or surfing in a perfect
      vacuum)
3: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
     (this was the film that turned me away from the avant-garde move-
    ment in general...)
4: Blade Runner
    (this science-fiction flik has it all- mind-warping sets and backdrops,
     beautiful killer robots, a moral, strong plot, and Coca-Cola avail-
     able in capsule form...)
5: THX1138:
    (this flik makes 1984 look like disneyland...if you stay awake, you'll
     get as sick of the complete lack of color (it's all white) as you
     will of the lack of acting talent)
6: A Clockwork Orange
    ((my favorite) Classic. Timeless. Violent. Blackly Humerous. Gives
     a whole new meaning to the song "singing in the ra	in" and also
     to the music of good old Ludwig von...excellent soundtrack by
     Vangelis...)
7: Tommy
    (ok, so it's rock and roll-- so what?, it still has got to be one of
     the best renditions of a rock opera on film...the scene with
     150 burning pinball machines is unforgettable...)
8: Reefer Madness
    (this is a good primer in rhetoric, misinformation and propaganda...
     seen today, it's hilariously funny, but it is horrifying to realize
     that many people believed the whole flik word for word)
9: The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    (so what if I've seen it nearly 200 times...it still escapes descrip-
     tion...)
10: Quadrophenia
    (If anyone can tell me why The Who titled this so strangely, I'd ap-
     preciate it...gives new meaning to having the "blues" and also
     makes you wonder why the Mods and Rockers were always fighting...
     they never tell you...beautiful final scene of a motor scooter
     falling off a cliff...)

ENOUGH!!
Joelll

ps...the award for Worst Movie has to go to Plan 9 from Outer Space...
     see it and find out why...if you can stay awake through the whole
     3 hours....