Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: whizzo (David Hardy)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 86 12:21:16 EST

On the subject of depressing songs, I can't think of just one, but here are a
few that come to mind:

Shock Headed Peters: Truth Has Come
This is 'sung' in some kind of electronically processed voice that sounds like
it could be the devil itself, with lyrics like:
     The Truth has come -- I'll get on with it.  This or any other place --
     the cleansing is the truth -- the truth is all.
     Tact is the enemy of time -- a word cannot beat a bullet -- a speech cannot
     cramp the style of a Knife.  A thrust can halt the peril of a lifetime --
     A shot can stop the blasphemy of breath   ...
     Ashes shall be scattered at the Edge of the City.  Spit it out one by one.
     The Truth has come.
Depressing music goes right along with the lyrics, to make the whole thing
quite abysmal.

Crack the Sky: Robots For Ronnie
     This is one of the mellower Crack the Sky songs, but has incredibly
depressing lyrics, at least to me:
     Every day he's in his room.  He doesn't lock the door cause he knows it's
     really no use.  I mean, nobody's ever even been up there.
     If Ronnie were to blow up, I don't think anyone would care.  He doesn't
     brush his teeth cause he never talks to no one.  He doesn't wipe his feet
     because he's never coming in.  Comin in?

     We can talk about the old days, the parties and dances and leads in the
     class plays.  But all of the memories he'll have
     Are plugging in a friend and shining up a cat.
(The cat was aluminum, by the way.  Somehow I just can't listen to this without
a tear coming to my eye.  Actually there are several songs that do that to me.
Not all of them are incredibly depressing however.)

This Mortal Coil: Fond Affections
A hauntingly beautiful song, but really depressing lyrics:
   Fond affections are never said.  They're only sung in songs.
     Never was naive enough to know when I was wrong.
     There's no light at the end of it all.
     Let's all sit down and cry.
     There's no life at the beginning.
     Let's all sit down and cry.
     Now it's time to say goodbye
     Now it's being forced upon you.
etc...

I'm sure there must be more, but these three come to mind at the moment.

                                        "If I should lose your love dear
                                         I don't know what I'd do,
                                         For I know I'll never find another you"

                                         >>> Dave