Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Dolby, etc.

From: Susanne E Trowbridge <umcp-cs!jhunix!ins_aset@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 86 9:05:55 EST
Subject: Dolby, etc.

Thomas Dolby produced the most recent LP for Prefab Sprout ("Two
Wheels Good"/"Steve McQueen," depending on whether you live in
America/England).  He also plays many of the instruments on the LP,
lending a very Dolby-ish feel to tracks like "When The Angels."
It's a very impressive LP.

Last summer, under the name "Dolby's Cube," he released a single
called "May The Cube Be With You."  George Clinton is featured on
this track.  It's kinda funky/danceable, but unexceptional by
Dolby standards (I'm no Clinton fan either, although I guess
"Atomic Dog" has its charms...)

Thomas was featured in a recent Melody Maker, sporting a weird
new haircut.  By the way, did anyone else see Kate featured in
MM's "Blackmail Corner" a couple weeks ago?  (This spot is
reserved for unflattering-looking photos of stars...although
Kate doesn't look THAT bad!)

As for XTC -- love 'em!  "English Settlement" is one of my
favorite LPs.  (Or should I say two of my faves...!)  Yes, Cocteau
Twins fans should definitely check out Dead Can Dance.
Colourbox is great, and Propaganda is also entertaining, though
I wish ZTT wouldn't persist in releasing 20 different mixes of
every song...they even remixed the whole LP, for goodness' sake!
(Unsuccessfully, I might add!)

-Sue