Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

recent digest contents

From: "ROSSI J.A." <rossi@nusc.ARPA>
Date: 14 Mar 86 16:56:00 PST
Subject: recent digest contents

Doug et al.,

If you look at the recent contents of this digest you can't help but notice
that the obscenity issue has gotten the most air-play of any recent "hot" topic.
There may be a reason for this which transcends peoples feelings for ex-
pression of opinions on morality issues.  I have been reading this digest for
bo about 2 months now.  I am constantly amazed at how little I know about
what is happening in the current world of progressive music (I use the term
progressive loosly, till I am sure that we are bnot allways talking about
neo-bang-bang bands, whose collective musical ability could not be surpassed
easily by recordings of mating calls of various rodents in heat).  I have
obviously been sheltered from much of the music described here.  Worse, I
have absolutely no idea where I can go to hear these new groups abnd decide
whether or not I find them progressive.  Ergo, I have little to say about
any of these bands, although I enjoy reading comments about them.

This gets me to my point, I believe that the obscenty issue may reflect a
common focus upon which many persons can share opinions because we all have
some knowledge of obscenities.  As to stopping the discussions of this
sort because it does not involve 'progressive music' is as rediculous (this
terminal is typing funny) as the concept of dirty words (e.g., words which
have dirt on them).

I am always open to hear new truely progressive music (remember about 10
years ago Pink Floyd were pretty progressive) and my opinion of the music
would not be altered by the name of a band. (The original name of my last
performing band was Coitus, which we changed to afterglow to avoid, much to
my dismay, public opinion -- We would have been better off as Coitus). Like
many of us oldetr types who read the digest, I wish we had a better way of
communicating the actual music as opposed to commentary abou the music.
At this point, we would all know what everybody was talking about.  Alas,
(I read Jerry Pournell's BYTE art. too often) we may never reach this
technological capability, and I think that we all will suffer because of
this.

You people who live in Boston and have FNX (and people who live elsewhere
where there are stations that play 'oddo' music) are lucky.  Those of us
who use radios in SE Connecticut are pretty isolated.

One final comment,

Thje Berlin 'SEX' lyric is (to the best of my ability to discriminate using
filters, speed translation and quantization techniques is "Fuck ME, Fuck ME".
I wont get into thge reason I investigated ti (oops) it in the first place
but would be glad to explain in detail if anyone really cares.

John
------