Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sonic Youth

From: hsut@ec.purdue.edu (Tsun-Yuk Hsu)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 86 23:54:37 EST
Subject: Re: Sonic Youth

Thanks to Jim Hofmann for the Sonic Youth discography! Despite making sly
asides all the time about how great Sonic Youth is, I only have one
of their albums (which gets played ALOT), Bad Moon Rising. It still blows
me away everytime I put it on. I do have the song "Halloween", but from
the compilation album A Diamond Hidden in the Mouth of a Dead Man
(Giorno Poetry Systems) with great groups like Sonic Youth, Carbaret Voltaire,
David Johannsen, Coil, and spoken pieces from William Burroughs and
Michael Gira (of the Swans?) I didn't think much of Halloween; it was
nice, but not up to the high standards I expected after Bad Moon Rising.
It's been awhile since I've heard it, so I should probably listen to it again
before making rash dismissals...

One of Christgau's few redeeming features: in his ballot for the Voice's
poll, he actually listed Sonic Youth's anti-Christgau song!! At least
the guy has a sense of humor...

I don't think Sonic Youth sounds much like early hardcore, but what do I
know about early hardcore... they do truly amazing things with their
guitars: they ring like bells or mangle your speakers with the feedback.
I'll have to write Homestead for more Sonic Youth sometime...

				"Society is a hole
				 It makes me lie to my friends"

				 Bill Hsu