Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: CTwins "Tiny Dynamine", lyrics, etc.

From: J. Peter Alfke <alfke@csvax.caltech.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 86 21:22:51 -0800
Subject: Re: CTwins "Tiny Dynamine", lyrics, etc.

seismo!cmcl2!floyd!stolaf!robertsl (Laurence C. Roberts) writes:

>I've been listening to the Cocteau Twins' Tiny Dinamine for the past
>couple of months.  (no, it wasn't my first exposure to them...snobs.)
>Is anyone else annoyed by what appears to be a slight case of tape bleed?

The sound generally seemed a but muddy in places, everything smudged out
rather than echoed as with tape bleed.  Dunno.  Especially as rumor had
it that "Aikea-Guinea" was recorded in digital ...

>Didn't someone say this recording is a couple of years old?

They have stated, in Melody Maker, that this is just a bunch of new stuff
they wanted to release without the fanfare of an LP.  From the style alone
I can't imagine the stuff being any older than "Aikea-Guinea"!
Do you have "Echoes in a Shallow Bay" (the companion EP)?  I think it's
quite a bit better.

>On the song "Plain Tiger", I could swear Liz is saying "After the task
>of adding up" at one point, and at another is saying quite loudly and
>distinctly, "You suck!!"  Does anyone have any interpretations of these
>guys' lyrics ...

God (and Liz) only knows.  The "adding up" thing sounds partially cor-
rect, but who am I to tell.  The postscript to my last submission has
as much as I've been able to make out of "Multifoiled".  Things past
"Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops" I don't even attempt.

In the same interview I mentioned above, they haul out some Japanese
editions of their albums -- released with *lyric sheets* -- and just
what those Japanese people were able to make of what Liz is singing
fairly boggles the mind:

	"Let us rock you so / Rock you so good"
	"The wave of the earth has got me all fooled now"
Liz: "Oh, that's fucking disgusting ... They must think we're a bunch
     of perverts or something."
	"Take this fish / Harder than roe / who sauntered away"
Liz: "Jesus!"
	"Julianne / Was first called a genius / Julianne / A genius too /
	 Our song / Is framed by a genius / Suddenly she got up
	 and turned it on"
Liz: "Definitely drug induced hysteria."
					(Horribly illegally excerpted
					 from Melody Maker, 16 November
					 1985.  Great interview.  Read it)

>...or confirmation of the Greek rumor.

These same friends all suggest French  -- maybe just because of the group's
name.

My conclusion: Let's just leave those poor lyrics alone.
Not that I will do anything of the sort 8-)

						--Peter Alfke
						  alfke@csvax.caltech.edu