Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Broken Kneecaps

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 86 22:46:38 EST
Subject: Broken Kneecaps

Hey, Jim, some of us only have 80 column windows!

> From: Hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA

> Well, how about that!  That "handsome cabin boy" is a rewrite of
> Jack O' Roe (listed in the album by the Dead as Trad.)

How close are the lyrics in "Jack O' Roe" and why is it called "Jack
O' Roe"?

> ... the whole theme of the woman posing as a boy seems to be a
> retread from the fabled Cloudbusting appearance by the K.  But has
> she been listening to the dead now too?

Actually, KB has been into this role reversal thing for quite some
time.  For example, there's a song of hers called "Ran Tan Waltz",
where Kate sings from the point of view of a man who has a
less-than-dedicated wife.  When she performed it on her TV special,
she was dressed up like a guy with a hat and beard and three-piece
suit.  Her two male dancer friends were there too.  One was dressed up
as the baby (in diapers, etc.), and the other one was dressed up as
Kate's wife.  Near the end of the song, Kate's beard and hat falls off
and her hair comes down.  Her wife takes off his wig and turns back
into a guy again.  All in all, it was pretty weird.

> ... well, I wonder if EMI hired anyone to promote Kate's music....

Well, actually, the guy I met at the Roger Miller concert who was
promoting Kate Bush is some sort of contractor.

And back after "The Dreaming" was released in the U.S., and it got
rave reviews, and sold more than the three copies that "The Kick
Inside" must have here, EMI-America decided that they were going to
promote Kate Bush for the first time.  They released a compilation EP,
and hired someone from a hip independent record company to run
promotion.  The independent promoter ran some contest where college
radio stations were encouraged to put on a Kate Bush video show.  The
person running the best show would get to go to England and meet Kate.
(It's illegal to offer such prizes for air play.)  I never heard of
the prize being given out, however.  It sounds like the type of thing
that the record company assumes is okay before getting approval from
the artist.  WLIR was giving out a date with Kate Bush as a prize when
she with in New York in November.  The winner was sorely disappointed,
I'm sure, because Kate said "No way, Hose" to WLIR (though probably
not in those words).

I haven't heard of anyone's kneecaps being broken, however.

	"But some night she'll run back in fright
	 When she picks on a Dick that's too big for her pride"

	 Doug