Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jello on MTV

From: "James J. Lippard" <Lippard@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 86 19:09 MST
Subject: Jello on MTV

I got this off a local BBS.

Absolute message # 934
Author: HAYSI FANTAYZEE
Date: Feb 06, 1986  Time: 05:18:55 Pm
Title: Jello Biafra on MTV

     We have a song, "MTV Get Off the Air." MTV is the worst thing to happen
to music since Saturday Night Fever.  It's bringing back every stupid cliche',
sexism, racism.  For example, word has it they wouldn't play anything by
anybody unless their skin was white until CBS threatened to yank all their
other videos off the air unless they played Michael Jackson.  The Rick James
suit didn't hurt either,
 I'm sure.  The crux of MTV was stated by one of the guys running it in an
interview in the Sunday Chronicle-Examiner.  When he was asked why there
wasn't any black music on MTV, his answer was, "We don't want to cater to
fringe groups." And the color of a person's skin determines whether or not
they are a fringe group.  That kind of attitude is just the glitzy neon
version of trying to bring back the Eisenhower era.
     Rock 'n' roll is a tool of the state at this point.  Look what kind of
rock 'n' roll gets on the radio: "I love you, baby.  Suck my dick." Or if
you're female and you want to get on the radio: "I'll love you baby.  I'll
suck your dick."
     Part of the line in "MTV Get Off the Air" is when the DJ says, "Don't
create, be sedate." That's what they're pushing: don't think, consume!  Don't
go outside and see what our country's like.  Sit inside and watch television.
They've finally figured out a way to get people to watch television
commercials 24 hours a day!

        -- Jello Biafra, of the Dead Kennedys

  Jim (Lippard at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA)