Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

JR/KB/TMC/CT/DCD/TR/RS/and BS

From: Tim Wicinski <wicinski@nrl-css.ARPA>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 86 08:35:43 est
Subject: JR/KB/TMC/CT/DCD/TR/RS/and BS

news from flem city:  just finished getting over a dragging flu that
left me tired and weak.  also with a big list of things I need to get done.

Why does anybody still buy Rolling Stone ?? I haven't since high
school.  I thought everybody stopped reading this piece of shit. They
called all the previous replacemnets albums (prior to 'Tim') really bad
music, with bad sound quality to boot.  I guess you need a big label in
order to sound good ??  But why put down JR sue ?? It's completely okay
for an artist to be compared to Jonathan Richman, and some people
probably consider it a complement.  In case you don't know, Jonathan
Richman first started out in the boston area ages ago (pre -1976 !)
with a band called The Modern Lovers whose early members contained Dave
Robinson (now of that super group the Cars), and Jerry Harrison (now of
course, with the Talking Heads), and someone who now plays with Robyn
Lane and the Chartbusters.  Most of his stuff is now out of print, but
you can still dig some of his early stuff if you look hard enough.  I
recommend the original album, 'The Modern Lovers'.  I do admit the
other statement the record reviewer said is pretty stupid.  I would
suggest Creem over most magazines mainly because they stupid, but at
least they know it.  They also were the first I remember to point out
that Black Flag is going to turn into another Hawkwind (which they
pretty much have) as they grow older.  Can you believe Creem magazine
mentioning Hawkwind ??

I keep listening to the Cocteau Twins and This Mortal Coil, yet I am
unmotivated by them completely.  Not sure why.  I enjoy Magazine
though, and I have bought three albums (Play, Second Hand Daylight, and
Magic Murder, and the Weather) for less than 4.00 each.  I suggest some
hard looking in the cut out bins.   Also just finished up a sharp
letter to my senator, lame duck Charles Mathais, and puppet to the
record industry.  I urge the same from everyone else.

Sorry, Doug I will not be able to attend the Residents festivities.
Maybe I'll go down and hang out outside and listen.  But at 15.00, It's
just too much money for me.  I haven't even been able to buy a record
all month !! This is getting bad. I guess I'll just have to settle for
a tape of it.

tim