Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: John Fox and Garry Numan

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 86 00:23:35 est
Subject: Re: John Fox and Garry Numan

> From: Laura Frank Clifford <lcliffor@bbnccm.ARPA>

> Please stop putting down Gary Numan.  His more recent stuff HAS been
> garbage, but in his heyday he was really quite good (The Joy Circuit,
> Are Friends Electric?).

I've heard some of his new stuff on the radio recently that I actually
thought was pretty good.  And his little instrumental "Photograph" is
actually one of my favorite pieces of music ever.  Most of his stuff
seems pretty nondescript, however, if you ask me.  But what do I know?

> He also gave the BEST concert I've ever been to, in 1980.  I think
> only Kate could outdo him in concert visuals.

I saw a piece of one of his concerts in the movie "Urgh!  A Music War".
He was driving around in little car on the stage for the whole song and
all the musicians were playing their instruments inside these things
that looked like high-tech phone booths.  What I want to know is how he
dragged all this junk around with him?

			-Doug

P.S.  I have on video tape some of the footage from 1979 British Pop and
Rock Music Awards.  Garry Numan won best male singer, and Kate gets to
give him the award, but he's not there -- he's in Philadelphia and
accepts the award over a live satelite link, looking and acting like
he's in tenth stage catatonia.

Later, Kate wins the award for best female singer, and when she accepts
the award she says something like "I'm glad I'm not here over satelite,
because it look like it really freaks you out!"