Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

J. McGeoch,Magazine,Armoury Show,P. Murphy,Siouxie

From: hall%beta.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM
Date: Friday, 17 Jan 1986 10:06:29-PST
Subject: J. McGeoch,Magazine,Armoury Show,P. Murphy,Siouxie

>Really-From: "James J. Lippard" <Lippard@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>

>> [Laura Clifford]:
>> I believe one of the band members used to belong to
>> Magazine, but I'm not sure.

>John McGeoch of Magazine (and Visage) appears on several Siouxsie and the
>Banshees albums, as does Robert Smith of The Cure.

And.....John McGeoch is now a member of The Armoury Show.  He also plays
guitar on the Peter Murphy cover of Magazine's "The Light Pours Out Of Me".
That's why it sounds so similar to the original.  I really like the addition
of the harmonica bit in Murphy's version.  Magazine was my favorite band for
quite awhile.  I saw Howard Devoto after his solo album came out, and he did
a few Magazine tunes...made my day!  I've been in a Bauhaus/Tones On Tail/
Dalis Car/Love and Rockets binge lately, so I look forward to Peter Murphy's
album.

>>Really-From: Laura Frank Clifford <lcliffor@bbnccm.ARPA>

>>Siouxie and the Banshees is one of my favorite groups.

>>                             I'm surprised you've not heard of them -
>>some of their more 'popular' songs are "Christine", "Arabian Nights",
>>"Israel" (their best!), cover of "Dear Prudence".  I really like their "Juju"
>>album.  Hope this helps!

Don't forget their newest single "Cities in Dust", a tasty little requisite!

Dan