Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: umcp-cs!aplcen!uucp@seismo.CSS.GOV
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 85 00:29:47 EST

>From ins_aset@jhunix Thu Dec 12 13:28:43 1985 remote from jhunix
Date:     Thu, 12 Dec 85 13:28:35 EST
From:     Susanne E Trowbridge <ins_aset@jhunix>
Subject:  confusion

I sent two postings the other day - I don't remember exactly what I said
in the first one, but the second one was largely to explain a reference I
had made in the first one.  Naturally, the second one got through, the
first one got lost.  Sorry 'bout that.  I really don't try to be cryptic
on purpose...

IN any case, here is more info on the Some Bizzare (yes, that's the correct
spelling) compilation, "If You Can't Please Yourself You Can't Please Your
Soul."

1. Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel, "The Only Good Christian Is A Dead
Christian."  Foetus strives to be offensive, and succeeds rather nicely,
thank you.  (On the day that I met him, he was regaling everyone with his
favorite quote, "A woman's place is on my face.")  There's little middle
ground here - you'll either love Foetus or you'll hate 'im.  Most people
will probably hate him.  Personally, I'm a fan.  This is fairly represen-
tative of his work.

2. Cabaret Voltaire, "Product Patrol."  Another good one from one of my
favorite bands.  They're quite prolific these days.  Their LP, "The Cove-
nant The Sword and The Arm of the Lord," is one of the year's best.

3. Test Dept., "Total Nervous Phenomenon."  Noisy...

4. Marc Almond, "Love Amongst the Ruined."  A long torchy thing; I loooove
Marc's voice, but I looooved it much more when he was in Soft Cell and he
had that electronic punch to back it up.

5. Psychic TV, "Twisted."  From the remains of Throbbing Gristle...Psychic
TV's alter-ego is Coil (who are on side 2).

6. The The, "Flesh and Bones."  Unbelievably good.  Totally wonderful and
stupendous and all that...Boy, was I glad to get my hands on this track
after the super-long wait since "Soul Mining."  I hope there's an LP from
Matt on the way.  In the meantime, I've been playing this constantly.

7. Coil, "The Wheel."  Coil's best song, I think - much more "pop" that
their "Scatology" LP or their weird version of "Tainted Love."

8. Yello, "The Roxy Cut."  I think this is a remix of an earlier Yello song,
but since I only have one of their albums, I'm not sure what that song is.
Good and danceable, in any case.

9. Virginia Astley, "Waiting to Fall."  Sort of pretty - wonder what she's
doing in the company of all these weirdos?

10. Einsturzende Neubauten, "Wardrobe."  More alternative noize stuff.

In other words, there is something on this album for EVERYBODY.  It is a
very good introduction to Foetus, Test Dept., etc. since it's got a balance
of weird stuff and accessible stuff.  Buy or die, as Ralph Records used to
say!!

A note on the KB interview in Musician -- Kate talks about her great admir-
ation for Bryan Ferry!!!  What stupendous taste, Kate!!  Wonder what Bryan
thinks of her music?

-Sue