Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: the THE ???

From: hound!hejira
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 85 12:10:43 est
Subject: Re: the THE ???

>  Really From: hall%beta.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM  (Dan Hall)

> Yow!  Other fans of The The!  We must be a very small group of people, since
> I rarely hear Matt Johnson on the radio or on other folk's turntables.

Those poor souls don't know what they're missing...

> _Soul Mining_ is my favorite album of the eighties so far.  There isn't a
> weak cut on the record.  My advice to you Rob is to blast over to your record
> store and scarf that record.  Maybe you had better get two copies, since
> you'll wear out the first copy very quickly.

I picked it up yesterday and haven't stopped listening to it since.  It may
actually end up being my favourite album of the eighties too -- though it's
too early to tell.

> I've been wondering whether I should mention it here or on net.music for
> some time, but haven't due to its being nearly two years old.

Geez, its being two years old shouldn't have stopped you.  It never stopped
Doug from praising The Dreaming.  To think I could have been clued in with
this great group, and all this time I've had to read all that tripe on Led
Zeppelin and the Dead.

> What I'm wondering now is this;  if you've been hearing The The regularly
> on the radio, does this mean there's a new album?  Yow! again.

The only THE album in the store was _Soul_Mining_.  I've heard several cuts
off of this on the radio, as well as a cut called "Flesh and Blood", which
sounds pretty good.  Is this on one of their older albums?

	- Rob Preston	<ihnp!hound!hejira   -- AT&T Bell Labs>