Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

chapter 9.4: Pasadena discovers KB?

From: Fu-Sheng Tsung <tsung@AEROSPACE.ARPA>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 85 09:33:59 PST
Subject: chapter 9.4: Pasadena discovers KB?

Here's something I found on the Pasadena Weekly (yes, Pasadena! Not just for
little old ladies . . .)

Reprinted (of course) without permission:

	In those English girls school stories there's always
	one student who's forever lost in elaborate
	daydreams, equally under the spell of the classics,
	the mystics, and the romantics.  That's Kate Bush,
	who *was* a schoolgirl when she signed her first
	record contract at age sixteen in 1976.  Her records
	have always been ambitious and fascinating works,
	earning her Big Star status in England and a rabid
	cult following on this side of the pond.  But
	youthful lack of restraint (or something) frequently
	caused her to go overboard with her unique voice
	and fondness for heavy thoughts.
	Now with her fifth album, Hounds of Love (EMI
	America), Bush has matured.  She still deals in High
	Concepts--side two concerns the levels of consciousness
	experienced by a person close to
	drowining at sea, and the first pressings of the
	album are on vinyl that looks like marble, for crissakes!
(??)
	But this is her first outing without at least
	one moment to make you cringe at its feyness.  The
	lush music is highly rewarding at any level of
	listening, and concerted attention reveals much
	magic stored in its many layers.
	What's more, *Hounds Of Love* is actually finding a
	wide audience here in the States!  The single "Running
	Up That Hill" (already a fave in the dance
	clubs) and the album are climbing the charts even
	as you read this.  Available at Poobah Records
	and Moby Disc.*			-Steve Hochman

*two local records stores, known for their used-recollection.

p.s. Seeing that she was born in 1958, less than five years older than me,
makes me wonder what've ** I ** been doing with my life.

(reiterating other people's words . . . :-)