Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Nosferatu and Hounds of Love

From: "James J. Lippard" <Lippard@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 85 21:18 MST
Subject: Nosferatu and Hounds of Love

I just saw "Nosferatu, The Vampyre" by Werner Herzog tonight.  The
chorus in "Hello, Earth" that begins around 3:30 is indeed in it in a
couple of places:  in the town square where the plague victims are
dancing around and shortly thereafter while a bat is flying.

"Deep.  Deep.  Somewhere in the darkness, give her your light.":  I
disagree with the last part of this translation.  I hear "gibt es ein
Licht", which means "there is a light".  "Gibt es" literally means "it
gives", but it's an idiom which translates "there exists" or "there is".
"Give her your light" would be "gib ihr dein Licht".

Jim Lippard (Lippard at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA)