Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

	Kate Bush unleashes a new single from her 'Hounds of Love' album
	on October 14.  'Cloudbusting' is backed with a new tune,
	'Burning Bridge', while the 12-inch has a completely
	altered/extended remix of 'Cloudbusting' titled 'The Organon
	Mix', in addition to the normal B-side *and* a traditional tune
	-- 'My Lagan Love' -- with new lyrics by Kate.  The song
	'Cludbusting' is said to be inspired by a book called 'A Book Of
	Dreams'

It is remarkable that Sounds picked up on this, because I've never seen
Kate say anywhere that the song is based on 'A Book Of Dreams', though
it clearly is.  She only said that it was based on a book she had read.

	and is about the relationship between a father and son.  Our
	obscurity expert Sandy Robertson says this is undoubtedly the
	same book -- by Peter Reich about his unorthodox scientist
	father Wilhelm Reich -- which inspired Patti Smith's legendary
	song 'Birdland'.  So *there*!

It did too.  Anyone want to help me design a Wilhelm Reich set for my
radio show?  Know of any Wilhelm Reich related songs?  I know of three:
'Cloudbusting', 'Birdland', and 'Orgone Accumulator' (by Hawkwind).

Melody Maker, which I didn't buy, also mentioned something about a 7
minute promotional video for 'Cloudbusting'.  Think MTV will show it?

Other stuff from Sounds....

Nik Turner's (of Hawkwind) Inner City Unit has released a new album
called 'The President's Tapes'.  Sounds gives it 4 stars (out of 5).
This is what they have to say:

	The last time I saw Nik Turner was at the Stonehenge
	non-festival this summer.  Just settling into my first hour's
	sleep for a couple of days, I was disturbed by someone treading
	heavily on my leg.  I mustered up the energy to raise an eyelid,
	to be greeted by Mr. Turner's features leering at me through the
	gloom.

	"Ere," he inquired.  "Do you know where I put my saxophone?"

	Well I'm glad he found it, or he may not have come up with such
	a wiggy-brilliant album as this.

	Nik and the rest of ICU have cut their punk muscle and deranged
	anarcho-frils into a meaty, tempting sandwich, a psycho-rock
	epic -- Motorhead and Husker Du boiled in a pot of mushroom tea.

	However, while they're still crawling through 'The World of LSD'
	or asking 'Stonehenge: Who Knows?', it's certainly no go on the
	breaking new barriers front, but I shouldn't think they care.
	Neither do I.

	"Sounds like Jethro Tull," wisecracks my business colleague and
	light of my life.  It doesn't, believe me.

						NEIL PERRY

Well, I hope I can convince a record store around here to special order
this for me.

Sounds gives Robyn Hitchcock's new live album, 'Gotta Get This Hen Out'
5 stars:

	"That was a song about the West Country before a lot of you were
	born and after most of you were dead," Robyn Hitchcock states to
	his audience after regaling them with 'Acid Bird'.  And from
	him, it makes perfect sense.

	Hitchcock has come and gone about a dozen times and some would
	say he's never really been here at all.  This would be a tenable
	statement if not for his naggingly eccentric and spendidly
	fantatsic music.  Hitchcock has interpreted whatever he goes
	through into a unique edifice.

	Poached *en* situ at The Marquee, Hitchcock sounds in command on
	this album and the feeling efficiency with which the band
	dispatch 'Heaven', every bit the measure of its title, and
	'America' makes one realize that the fable of the prophet being
	ignored in his own country has only limited application.  There
	is nothing faintly second-hand about Hitchcock and if you've
	never discovered him... you should do it.

						RALPH TRAITOR

Sounds also liked Rush's new single 'The Big Money'.  I haven't heard
it, but I tend to doubt it, since I think they died shortly after
'Hemispheres'.  4.5 stars to Husker Du's new album, 'Flip Your Wig'.
They also gave 5 stars to Iron Maiden's new live album.  I thought that
the British weeklies hated heavy metal....  Is there something special
about Iron Maiden that I should know about?

			"Oh God, daddy
			 I won't forget"

			 Doug