Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jig of Life

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 85 21:54:42 edt
Subject: Jig of Life

"Jig Of Life" is my favorite song on HOL.  For at least a week of
pondering over the lyrics, though, I had absolutely no idea what they
were about, and then suddenly the meaning of the lyrics sung by Kate
became incredibly obvious.  Then the KBC newsletter came out, and Kate's
explanation of the song matches with mine *exactly*.  Nobody else I have
talked to has gotten the meaning of "Jig Of Life" even close to right,
so I am starting to feel very arrogant and conceited.  Gee, I just must
be the world's greatest KB lyric analyzer.

Prove me wrong!  Cut me down to size.  What do you think "Jig Of Life"
means?  (The part sung by Kate, that is -- the part narrated by John
Carter is another story....)  (P.S.  It's no fair if you've just read
the meaning out of the KBC newsletter.)

>> [Me:] And, actually, "Jig of Life" (the part Kate sings, rather) is
>> the most straightforward song on the album.  Once you figure it out,
>> nearly every line is completely clear and unambiguous.  The subtle and
>> poetic way she says what she's saying is so perfect, though, it's a
>> masterpiece!

> [jer:] But that's what good poetry is good for.  It shouldn't be
> undecipherable.

But much great poetry is very ambiguous, including much of Kate's.
Ambiguity is a *very* important tool in poetry because it allows you to
paint a whole splattering of different meanings with one set of words.
This is not the same as being undecipherable, but a poem like this may
have several or many different meanings rather than just one.

This is a piece of a wonderful poem by e. e. cummings.  Notice that the
word "become" is ambiguous, and how the meaning of the whole changes
with the meaning of "become":

	you shall above all things be glad and young.
	For if you're young, whatever life you wear

	it will become you; and if you are glad
	whatever's living will yourself become.

Now, the lyrics Kate sings in "Jig of Life" are *not* ambiguous.  But
they are great in a different way.  They are not very metaphorical
either, but they are beautiful and haunting.

		"Where on your palm is my little line
		 When you're written in mine
		 As an old memory"

		 Doug