Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Steve Tynor <gatech!gitpyr!tynor>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 85 19:17:11 edt
Posted-Date: Wed, 9 Oct 85 19:17:11 edt

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Post-first impressions of Hounds Of Love:

   Disclaimer of personal bias:

I've  seen  a lot of discussion on interpretation of HoL songs. While I
find this interesting (and certainly educational), it fails to pinpoint
the  aspect  of Kate's music that intrigues me most. For me, lyrics are
much less important than 'music' content. While I can and do  sometimes
appreciate  a  song  primarily based on its lyrics, it's the rythym and
melody, the arrangement, texture, the dynamic range,  strange  uses  of
effects  gear  (strange uses of Kate's vocal chords...) etc. that hooks
me. The emotional impact of Kate's music is not derived from considered
study  of the lyric sheet, but from emotional response to the sonics of
the performance.

The Ninth Wave is certainly the type of thing I was expecting after The
Dreaming. Except for the last cut (The Morning  Fog),  it's  excellent.
But, why is The Morning Fog included on this side? It's style/tone/mood
is much more consistant with that of Side 1 (HoL). I wish she'd swapped
it with Mother Stands for Comfort. Also, after the emotionally draining
Hello Earth, it's annoying to be bombarded with heavy drum beats...  It
probably should have been the last song on the side. (BTW, Hey Jude (on
the Hey Jude album) suffers the same  problem...  After  7  minutes  of
fade, I'm NOT ready for another tune...)

Remember, I'm not taking lyrical content into consideration when I make
these complaints. It may well be (and I'll be interested to hear)  that
the  'meaning'  of  these  songs necessatates their being programmed in
this manner, but aurally they just don't seem to fit.

Side  1  (HoL)  is  a different story. I'm really dissappointed in this
side. Why the heavy drumbeat on RUTH, HoL, and Big Sky? (and  not  even
interesting  ones.  I  really  like  what  Peter Gabriel does with drum
machines, african polyrhythms, etc. ) The stuff on  this  side  is  too
d*&% repetative! Now don't get me wrong. I like every song, but I can't
consider this the 'second best rock album'  ever  recorded  (to  loosly
paraphase Doug).

Big Sky is especially annoying. No amount of neato backup vocals (which
really *are* neat!) can cover up  the  fact  that  this  is  a  boring,
repetative, fairly unimaginative song.

Mother  Stands  for Comfort is quite good. Much closer to the spirit of
The Ninth Wave. Del Parmer's bass playing is very interesting  (reminds
me of E. Weber's bass on Houdini from The Dreaming).

I  like  Cloudbusting  too.  (or  at  least  until  she  falls into the
repetition trap again...) The cellos remind me of  early  ELO  and  Mid
period  Beatles.  Speaking  of  Beatles,  don't  the last lines in RUTH
remind you of Beatles? I could swear I've heard the same technique (the
inflection  in  the  last 'could') on a Beatles tune, but I can't place
it... Actually, a lot of Kate's music seems Beatles inspired.

Well, that's enough for today. I'm expecting plenty of flames, so flame
on.

Illigitamati non carborundum.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Instutute of Technology

 ...{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
     ihnp4, masscomp, ut-ngp, rlgvax, sb1,
     uf-cgrl, unmvax, ut-sally}  !gatech!gitpyr!tynor