Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Review: Henry Rollins

From: Tim Wicinski <wicinski@nrl-css.arpa>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 85 14:01:44 edt
Subject: Review: Henry Rollins

I attended a poetry reading last nite with musician turned poet Henry
Rollins.  If have never heard of HR, he used to sing in a DC hardcore
band SOA. He then joined Black Flag in 1981 and in between touring and
recording for Black Flag, he writes and reads his poetry. It's not as
much pure poetry as it is more his experiences in life. He comes across
very forcefully when talking about such subjects as suicide.  He also
read about his story about working at the Hagen-Daz ice cream store in
Georgetown, an article he wrote for Village Voice (he nails them for
being pansies) reviewing the new AC/DC album "Fly on the Wall" which
was hysterical. He said he was paid 5000 dollars for the Village Voice
piece.  Also read, why he likes mexican food and why there are so many
jerk offs who go to mexican restaurants (especially in Houston TX) and
the latest article for Spin magazine and the battle between Coke and
Pepsi (entitled "Torn Between Two Lovers").

Many people would write this off, because of HR's role in Black Flag,
but this in no way resembles them at all.  In my mind, that was
probably the best reading of poetry I've been to in awhile, especially
with his parents there.  I would recommend seeing this show if it makes
it to your town.

For you punk socialities, Ian and Brian Baker of Minor Threat were there.
For being such jerks in public, they wrote some decent songs.
--
Ignorance of your culture is not considered cool !!

     Tim Wicinski, Naval Research Labs
     Arpa: wicinski@nrl-css
     Uucp: ...!decvax!nrl-css!wicinski